There has been a long standing issue in Greater Sudbury when it comes to city councillors. The current Greater Sudbury city councillors are deemed to be part time and thus make half the wage of what they really should make.
The problem with this is that in a city so large geographically as Greater Sudbury and with the number of citizens in the voting area we should be receiving full-time councillors.
The job of a city councillor is full time and if you ask any of them that do the job you will certainly hear how over worked and under paid they are. If this is the case, which it most certainly is, why not up the pay for what they are actually worth?
Some city residents might have a conniption, but all in all if the city communicated properly about the pay hike you probably wouldn’t hear or see to much backlash from most working people.
The City of Greater Sudbury has had this problem a number of times since amalgamation and each time council can’t come to a majority and agree that the pay should be higher. One of the “conspiracies” about this is that if they pay more money then you will have better candidates run for election in the wards. If this happens than most current Greater Sudbury City councillors will most certainly be unemployed after the election. At the end of the day consider the low pay as job security.
This could be a major reason why they won’t officially announce that the job is a full time position and hold elections on that belief. If Greater Sudbury wanted to have a quality slate of candidates to apply for the job as Councillor why wouldn’t we pay a wage to reflect the importance of the job.
Currently a majority of Greater Sudbury City Councillors make under $50k a year and only the Mayor makes over $100k. The reasons we are told is that the Mayor is the only full time position on council and thats why the position pays what it does.
However, if you want to increase the quality of candidates and possibly have the proper representation for the city, then you will most likely have to raise the wage of the councillors. We are in an unfortunate situation in Greater Sudbury because of the amount of pay the job currently provides.
Taking the current pay for the responsibility would be financial suicide for some.
The city actually has a number of young, hard working and knowledgable people who would love to represent their ward, but financially can’t make that sacrifice.
The issue of compensation is a major reason why they won’t. Not to many people outside of the politically obsessed are willing to lose 5 or even 6 figures and have double the workload to serve as a municipal councillor.
Thus this is what we get, a retirement home of the city connected that are doing this as a full time hobby rather than a part time job.
In the end it is the residents that suffer from not having Greater Sudbury’s best and brightest represent us at the City Council table.
Trending Sudbury Find out what’s trending in Sudbury!
- We Took A Taxi In Sudbury Last Weekend & This Is What We Thought
How long has it been since you took a taxi in Sudbury? This is a question we asked ourselves in The post We Took A Taxi In Sudbury Last Weekend & This Is What We […]
- A Car Smashed Right Into Brampton Mayor Candidates Campaign Office
Last night, Brampton mayoral candidate Nikki Kaur had a car smash right into her campaign office. We wouldn’t really be The post A Car Smashed Right Into Brampton […]
- You Need To Try These 3 Home Hacks If You Are Feeling The New Season Vibe
Have you ever wondered what home hacks you can experiment with that will make you joyous? This is actually a The post You Need To Try These 3 Home Hacks If You Are […]
- What Does Sudbury Like More, Hello Fresh Or Chefs Plate?
When it comes to food in a box that gets delivered to your door Sudbury does have options. There are The post What Does Sudbury Like More, Hello Fresh Or Chefs Plate? […]
- You Can Now Fly Porter From Sudbury To Toronto & It’s Really Inexpensive
Are you ready to travel again? How about flying, are you OK with that? If so then you will want The post You Can Now Fly Porter From Sudbury To Toronto & It’s […]
- Answering The Day Old Question, Is Long Island An Island? & Why Manitoulin Island Is Better
When thinking about islands and how blessed we are in Northern Ontario we decided to ask ourselves, Is Long Island The post Answering The Day Old Question, Is Long […]
- Top 10 Most Expensive Cities For Home Insurance & Northern Ontario Has 8 Of Them
Are you trying to find home insurance in Northern Ontario that is cheap and has appropriate coverage? This may be The post Top 10 Most Expensive Cities For Home […]
- Rogers Will Give You A Credit Because They Screwed Up & This Is How You Get It
The day may have been dubbed “Blackout Friday” for Rogers customers, but the Rogers service outage that took place on The post Rogers Will Give You A Credit Because […]
- Crazy Crab Tries To Kill A Camper With A Knife & You Can See The Video Right Here
Imagine being woken up to the sound of something scratching on your tent? The last thing you would be thinking The post Crazy Crab Tries To Kill A Camper With A Knife […]
- It Is Canada Day 2022 Sudbury & This Is What To Check Out
Canada Day 2022 is here and if you are looking for something to do we have you covered. Greater Sudbury The post It Is Canada Day 2022 Sudbury & This Is What To […]
- Sudbury City Councillors Decide To Spend $98 Million On Downtown Library Even Though It’s An Election Year
The City of Greater Sudbury is now ready to spend almost $100 million dollars on another Downtown Sudbury Project. The The post Sudbury City Councillors Decide To Spend […]
- Here Are 10 Wicked Golf Products That Are Perfect For Any Golfer
When you hit the golf course this summer you won’t want to be left behind without some of the best The post Here Are 10 Wicked Golf Products That Are Perfect For Any […]
- 9 Things To Buy On Amazon To Make Your Sudbury Summer Amazing & You Won’t Regret Buying Any of Them
With summer coming in Greater Sudbury you might wonder what supplies or goodies you will need to fill the void The post 9 Things To Buy On Amazon To Make Your Sudbury […]
- Greater Sudbury Municipal Election Is Still Months Away & Candidates Are Starting To Trickle In
Even thought the Municipal Election for Greater Sudbury is taking place this year the Province of Ontario still has to The post Greater Sudbury Municipal Election Is […]
- Elon Musk Seals The Deal To Buy Twitter For $44 Billion
In what amounts to some big news, not just for divided political junkies, but maybe even the future of free The post Elon Musk Seals The Deal To Buy Twitter For $44 […]
- Mike Tyson Apparently Comes Out Of Retirement To Lay A Beating On A JetBlue Passenger
‘Don’t antagonize the baddest man on the planet because you might just get you’re ass whooped’ was the lesson of The post Mike Tyson Apparently Comes Out Of […]
- Swiss Chalet Was Trending On Twitter & It Wasn’t Because Of The Chicken
Swiss Chalet was trending on twitter for the last couple of days now and surprisingly enough it wasn’t because of The post Swiss Chalet Was Trending On Twitter & […]
- We Answered The Age Old Question Of How Many Times Do You Flip A Grilled Cheese Sandwich?
Haven’t you always wondered how many times you should theoretically flip your grilled cheese? So many people have different answers, The post We Answered The Age Old […]
- Your American Friends Will Absolutely Lose Their Minds With These 7 Unique Things Only Available In Canada
If you are looking for some unique products that are only available in Canada then we have your back. Some The post Your American Friends Will Absolutely Lose Their […]
- Sudbury Municipal Election Registration Starts In A Month & We Can’t Wait To See Who Is Running
The next municipal election in Greater Sudbury will take place this October, however candidates will soon be able to register The post Sudbury Municipal Election […]
- The Sudbury Five Trounce The Flint United In Style
The Sudbury Five basketball team took to the court here in Sudbury last night and trounced the visiting Flint United The post The Sudbury Five Trounce The Flint United […]
- We Played 16 Hours Of Fortnite & This Is What We Learned
This may seem like an odd thing to post about, but we just finished a 16 hour session of Fortnite The post We Played 16 Hours Of Fortnite & This Is What We Learned […]
- You Think $1.97 At The Pumps Is Painful? Good News Sudbury As Analyst States Gas Prices Set To Drop Big Time
After weeks of getting soaked at the pumps, Ontario Gas prices are finally set to drop within the week. President The post You Think $1.97 At The Pumps Is Painful? Good […]
- 5 Places To Hit Up In North Bay For A Weekend & You Will Want To Have An Appetite
Sometime soon North Bay might be a destination that you will want to go and check out for a weekend. The post 5 Places To Hit Up In North Bay For A Weekend & You […]
- LME Shuts Down Nickel Trading As Prices Go Bananas
In over 145 years the LME has been the exchange for nickel and they have never seen an overnight spike The post LME Shuts Down Nickel Trading As Prices Go Bananas […]
- Ontario, Say Goodbye To The Mask Mandates On March 21st – Hallelujah
It’s about time! Ontario will be lifting the mask mandates in almost every section of the Province including schools on The post Ontario, Say Goodbye To The Mask […]
- Christine Elliott Announces She Won’t Seek Re-Election & Gets Praise Except From NDP Leader Who Complains Again
Christine Elliott who is the current Minister of Health in the Province of Ontario announced yesterday that she won’t be The post Christine Elliott Announces She […]
- This TikTok’er Has A Totally Understandable Explanation Why Your Gas Might Not Be Lasting As Long
TikTok can be useful for some things like this recent explanation of why your gas might not be as efficient The post This TikTok’er Has A Totally Understandable […]
- These 7 Bottles Of Wine Will Be Perfect To Enjoy During Your Kids March Break & They Are All Available At Your LCBO
With March break coming in hot you may want to start stoking up on some wine from your LCBO. March The post These 7 Bottles Of Wine Will Be Perfect To Enjoy During Your […]
- Booking A Hotel On Expedia Is Simple – Just Follow These Easy Steps And You Could Save Up To 15% Or More
Now that the pandemic is safely behind us you may want to book a hotel room or a vacation somewhere. The post Booking A Hotel On Expedia Is Simple – Just Follow These […]