A No-Nonsense Guide to Safe Winter Driving: Dos and Don’ts for Heavy Snow
If you’re gonna be driving in heavy snow, you gotta know what the heck you’re doing. ‘Cause if you don’t, you’re gonna end up in a ditch, or worse, upside down in a tree. So, here’s a few dos and don’ts to keep you safe on the road.
1. Slow the cluck down: Yeah, I know you’re in a hurry to get to your destination, but trust me, you don’t want to be sliding around on the roads like a damn ice skater. So, take it easy and give yourself some extra time.
2. Use your headlights: I know it’s daylight, but when it’s snowing or you’re driving through a damn blizzard, you might not be as visible as you think to other drivers. So, turn on your headlights so you can see and so others can see you.
3. Use your brakes like you got a brain: When it’s slippery out there, you gotta ease off the brakes. Don’t go stomping on them like you’re trying to put out a fire.
4. Keep your gas tank full: You don’t wanna run out of gas in the middle of a snowstorm. So, make sure you got enough to keep you warm and get you to a safe place.
5. Keep a winter emergency kit in your car: You know, some warm clothes, blankets, food and water, a flashlight, and a damn shovel. ‘Cause you never know when you’re gonna get stuck.
1. Don’t use cruise control: Yeah, it’s convenient, but when it’s snowing, you need to be in control of your vehicle, not the other way around.
2. Don’t over steer or brake suddenly: That’s a surefire way to end up in a spin. So, take it easy and make smooth movements.
3. Don’t tailgate: Give yourself some room, ’cause if the person in front of you stops suddenly, you don’t wanna be riding their ass.
4. Don’t ignore road closures: If the road is closed, it’s closed for a reason, so don’t be a dumbass and try to drive on it.
5. Don’t ignore warning signs of hypothermia and frostbite: If you start feeling numb or your skin starts to change color, get to a warm place ASAP.
So, there you have it folks, the dos and don’ts of driving in heavy snow. Remember, if it ain’t safe to drive, don’t do it. ‘Cause the last thing you wanna do is end up as a statistic. Stay safe out there.